Friday, November 11, 2011

Spelt, the Ancient Grain

         The days have just been whipping by for me lately. I get home from school and a few hours later the sky outside is pitch black. It will definitely take me a while to get used to this. How did this happen? When did this happen? Where have the days gone? Madness, I tell you.
        I decided to make something quick and simple that would be ready before night hits, but something that I could eat on a regular basis. So, I made a wholesome, hearty loaf of bread -- no yeast, no kneading, and no rising time involved. It's the perfect bread for busybodies such as myself. Here it is: Spelt Sesame Bread.
Spelt Sesame Bread
        I think this bread will be making a regular appearance in my sandwiches for the next little while. It's a healthy loaf, with plenty of good-for-you ingredients -- it uses 100% spelt flour. All-purpose white flour can be my best friend when it comes to treats, but it can sometimes be my worst enemy when it comes to my every day meals. In terms of sandwiches and toast, I actually prefer the taste of whole-grain.
        The Verdict: The spelt flour lends this bread an earthy, nutty flavor which I quite like. This isn't your fluffy, white Wonder bread -- it's a satisfying and very dense bread, best cut into thin slices. I recommend you put your toaster to use; it tastes at its best toasted. In fact, I enjoyed a couple slices spread with my favorite nut butter just earlier and loved the combo.
        New breakfast staple of mine? 
        Very likely.



Spelt Sesame Bread
(adapted from Allrecipes)
Print This Recipe
Yield: 1 9 x 5 inch loaf


Ingredients
4 cups spelt flour
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients until well-blended. Batter should be wet; do not add more flour. 
  2. Place batter in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. If desired, brush top of batter with egg white or yolk. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from pan. When not serving, keep bread covered.
Related Stories Widget by LinkWithin

17 comments:

  1. This looks like it's a denser bread, more like what I am used to from Germany. I've missed those types of bread, so your recipe is definitely on my to-try list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sesame bread looks delish! Love the photos too, reminds me of home very much. Thanks for sharing, have a good one! =] 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use whole spelt in everything that calls for all-purpose or whole wheat and never have a problem. It's great stuff! It doesn't taste as healthy as whole wheat.

    Kiri - It does look great, but I live in Germany and this isn't at all like the German bread. I've spent a lot of time trying to perfect my German bread baking skills and you really won't get anywhere close without sourdough. But really, this loaf looks great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bread looks delicious, I can imagine the wonderful smell and taste. Nut butter sounds good ,too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used spelt a few times over the past year and loved it.  I've heard in the past that it lends itself to more moisture in baked goods, so sometimes I've heard if you want to substitute it than you should remove some of the liquids.  This bread looks fabulous! (I love making homemade bread)

    Thanks for the recipe!  Your photos are beautiful, as well as your blog. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used spelt and this recipe looks like a good start. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of spelt, but I am quite intrigued! I LOVE bread, like I can go to town on a good chunk of sourdough. I'm always open to new starches in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a very nice and comfy type of bread; packed with goodness right for a good start for the day!
    Great choice to make them your breakfast staple!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like whole grain breads much better than white breads.  I have never baked with spelt flour, but you have inspired me to pick some up at the grocers.  It is amazing that this bread takes so little time to make and gets such stunning results.  Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I have an ongoing issue with yeast and I love that your bread has none! I'm going to try this perfect recipe over the weekend! :) 

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have inspired me to try baking with spelt. I have avoided using it till now but your bread looks so wonderful I think I've been missing something. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.November 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM

    This bread looks lovely, Nicole! I've never used spelt, but it sounds like great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful recipe!!  Spelt is my all time favorite grain, and I"m loving how you used it in this bread.  We will try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always my dream to make bread at home, and if I have this bread out of the oven I know I'll eat half of it at once.  I'm that crazy about very good bread... This is my first visit on your blog and I really enjoyed browsing around.  I'm your new follower on facebook too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Dense earthy breads are a favorite, and I adore the simplicity of the process here...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious and I'll wager it makes for wonderful sandwiches. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! This load looks soo good! I love earthy breads. 

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis